Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Tao and cycling

Lao-tzu said that the three treasures of life are never be first, never have too much, and always love. In other words: humility, simplicity, and love. In my cycling I have made the mental switch that what I cycle for in clarity and the love of the sport. I still race, but I race for me not to seek the approval of others. As I prepare for TIv2, I will need to look more internal for strength. My brother has been the inspiration for this race because of his mental toughness as we pushed through the night to complete his last 100 mile run.

I have been able to knock some good miles out over the past few days. This morning I wasn't sure what the weather was going to be doing so I planned for the worst - running. As it was, the trails were dry and I headed out to do some dreaded hill repeats. I found a great place that has little to no foot traffic and is about .25 miles long. The snow started about the time I finished.

No comments: